Guest Policy for Participation* with Blackbeard’s Crew
*in Camp, Processions, Parades, Performances, Crew Meetings, etc.
1. There should be a justifiable reason to invite “guest” !
2. Guest MUST be Pre-Approved by Events Master, Bos’n and/or Pressgang Master. PIC needs to be informed of any guests. (absolutely no surprise guests)
3. Guest must have “period” garb that is approved by Pressgang Master, Wench Master or Haberdashery committee of BBC. (may be borrowed from BBC “slop-chest”) Period garb not required for Crew meetings.
4. Crewmember who invites guest is responsible for guest’s activities, actions, and well-being. Guest’s actions may reflect against BBC. Crewmember is still responsible for Crew duties and obligations.
5. Guest must follow any reasonable request made by a BBC member. (In the event of conflicting requests, seek PIC or a Master for resolution)
6. Guest will have limited interactions with the public unless okayed by Events Master, PIC or Pressgang Master. If necessary, it is appropriate to say, “I am a guest of the Crew and will find a Crewman to answer your questions.”
7. Due to safety and insurance liabilities, guest will not handle weapons. (Exceptions may include visiting Crew who have evidence of: liability insurance, weapon safety training, and BBC inspected/ approved weapon.)
8. Guest will sign Insurance Liability Waiver. (Not required for meetings)
9. Guest will not describe him/her-self as a Member of BBC.
10. Guest should bring “bribe”/gift to BBC. (food for feasting table, libations, cigars, Gatorade, candles, etc.)
11. In the event that guest is unwilling to follow these rules, guest will be asked to change to “civilian” garb and remain outside camp/activity. (Decision made by EM, PIC and/or a majority vote of present Masters)
12. Guest of the Crew or a crew member at the Hampton Blackbeard’s Festival – for the purpose of this policy a PIT, WIT or a person that has submitted a membership application that has been accepted and approved by the Pressgang Master shall be considered members of the crew during the Blackbeard Festival or any other sanctioned event. Non-member spouses, children, grandchildren or parents of a member in good standing shall be permitted guest status with approval of the Captain, Events Master or Pressgang Master. Due to contractual considerations with the city of Hampton all other guests will be considered to be public attendees. The Captain may grant an exception based on good cause, Festival needs, media opportunities etc.